[CAUT] comparisons

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Aug 14 17:05:04 MDT 2006

Greetings all,
    I have been asked to make some recommendations for school practise room
pianos.  Here at Vanderbilt, we have been using quite a few Yamaha U-3 pianos,
with good results.  They were purchased some years ago when they had the true
sostenuto pedals on them.  Now, the only Yamaha uprights with the sos. are too
expensively priced for us to purchse, so I am considering the others.
    Our dealer here has suggested the P-22 as the workhorse piano for
practise rooms, though I certainly would prefer a larger piano.  I  am unfamiliar
with the T-121 pianos( $ 6,495), but it was offered as an alternative to the U-1,
( $7,495).
      The Kawai dealer has proposed the K-25 or the K-3 pianos.  I know
nothing about them, though I have some idea that the K-60 would be a better piano.
It certainly weighs more, which means something.

     I figure that other CAUT's might have seen some  of these models in
action for some time and could give me an idea of how durable they might be.

On list or off, would anybody care to make some recommendations among these
models, based on how they hold up?

Thanks,
Ed Foote RPT