[CAUT] McLube thoughts

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Thu Aug 3 16:43:28 MDT 2006

Fred,

I would like to disagree a little with both descriptions of the dry
McLube.  The dried McLube 444 residue which I have seen has not seemed
not quite as hard as you have described it.  What I have seen is
somewhat waxy and crumbly, like cool paraffin wax, but neither gummy no
hard as plastic.

My experience has been that heavy, repeated application to key pins can
cause the felt to become compacted and hard.  This is not from a single
application, mind you - the only time I have personally seen this
problem was in a piano that was getting a treatment each month by a
tuner who was trying to prevent bushing wear in a crazily heavily used
instrument.  After about a year, the bushings seemed worn out because
the keys had become loose and noisy.  On close inspection, though, the
bushings were not worn, but were compacted and waxy feeling.  After a
quick steam application and inserting sized cauls, the keys were good as
new.  So the McLube seems to have prevented wear, but the bushing was so
hard and compressed that it seemed worn out anyway.

I admit that this was an extreme case, so it does not mean that McLube
should never be used on key pins.  I only warn people not to get too
extreme - an application every few years should be no problem at all.

I like the performance aspect of McLube 444 on key pins as well - it's
wonderfully slippery stuff.  The main difference between other things
like TFL-50 and Slide All is that these other ones leave a powder when
the liquid dries, rather than the hard waxy coating.

I purchased a gallon of liquid McLube here at Kawai, and also a gallon
of the solvent.  Using Schaff's shoe-dauber bottles, you can refill them
indefinitely after a quick rinse with the solvent.  This cuts way down
on the smell of using the aerosol can of McLube.

My favorite application for McLube is keyframes and key beds.  It seems
to seal the wood nicely, and makes them quiet and much nicer to slide
the actions in and out during voicing.

Don Mannino

  _____