[CAUT] (OT) Job Available

Tim Geinert geinert at drtel.net
Sat Apr 29 10:31:23 MDT 2006

This thread has been quite educational.  I sent my post and left for two days of driving and university tunings (yes.  I, too, apparantly don't charge enough.), so this a.m. was my first look at the angst.

First, and most important, my comments were meant to say only this. (And by the way, I do monitor rates around here to make sure I am always at or near the top.  So I do understand Econ 101.)  Sometimes there are mitigating circumstances that reduce the validity of the idea that if you are too busy, you are not charging enough.  The hardships of a major catastrophe such as Katrina may be just that.  Think of the good will a conscientious businessman such as Lance can accomplish by, instead of soaking it to someone who is desperate for a competent technician, taking the initiative and providing an opportunity for his customers, his business, and another technician.  (aside...my hats off to anyone who can do that.  I have tried to have someone help me,  but it is just too hard on me.)

Also, I hope noone thought I was indicating Lance was overcharging.  I was definitely not implying that!!!!!

But gouging?  I stick to my guns on that.  I have seen it, and it actually relates to more than just price.  Here is an example.  A technician may be an (only) ok tuner, but establishes a successful practice, then is also doing major restoration work.   People are used to his name, he seems sincere, they think he has a good reputation as the 'go to guy', and so they do.  But his work is like this....when he puts in a pinblock, he cuts it out on the bandsaw and screws it into the piano.  No fitting at the flange, no glue or dowels on a S&S or M&H.  When he regulates, it is by the specs with no interest on how those specs play.  And it all looks great because it is precise and accurate and consistent.....but completely wrong.  Top off the pinblock fit problem by pushing the plate out of position to the point of making #88 as short as 46 mm,use Falconwood or Delignit with too small a drill bit, leave the coils 8-12 mm off the plate(I think to combat too-tight pins) and you have pianos that are as good as impossible to tune.  In times of flood, he "repaired" all the pianos he could get his hands on, even some that should have hauled away.  He, too, charged all that the market would bear.

Ebeneezer Scrooge was only adhereing to the principles of ECON 101, but I have never heard anyone rooting for him when I see "A Christmas Carol".

I must ALWAYS know that I have given a fair value to a customer.  Once again,  I do not strive for inexpensive, just fair.

For what it's worth, a couple years ago I raised my rates 28%.   It put me well above all the others in the area, and like Lance, I found no relief.

There are customers out there that have not found a competent technician.  I don't pretend to know who's fault that is, but I do know it is not always easy to combat.  My wife once got me a framed enscription that says, "I do not have to tune every piano in North Dakota!", because apparantly I was on some sort of a crusade to try and deal with that problem.

Tim G