[CAUT] (OT) Job Available

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Apr 28 14:47:47 MDT 2006

On Apr 28, 2006, at 12:08 AM, Paul Williams RPT wrote:

>  I thought this was way out of line to quote prices for tunings.
> (by the way, they are way out of line for the area and
> circumstances)  I thought prices for work were sort of kept out of
> ear shot.

Hi Paul,
Actually, from what I understand of our policy, only statements like
yours above, "(by the way, they are way out of line for the  area and
circumstances)", are possibly in danger of violating anti-trust
legislation.  This was the attitude which got PTG in trouble in the
first place -- a PTG member, unknown even to his chapter, complained
about someone else advertising a low price and the state attorney
general was contacted because of it.  I think,  yes, we are supposed
to refrain from discussing price, but, as is apparent from our
ability to gather survey information on price, it appears the spirit
of that restriction is with regard to direct competition, not in
comparing market rates from one region to the next or earnings
possibilities for a job opening.  I personally think it is perfectly
legitimate to advertise for a position and give the potential
applicants an idea of the earnings potential for the position.  That
seems to happen thousands of times a day on Monster dot com.

Similarly, I think the Econ 101 discussion can't be possibly in
violation of any anti trust, nor is it "off topic", but that would
definitely be only my opinion, and not that of someone who is better
studied in antitrust law.  We are, after all, business people.  Other
industries certainly offer venues of education which teach its
members how to make more money than they currently are.  I've
certainly been to sales seminars in many other fields which teach how
to close a sale without competing on price.  And quite often, that
price may well be set by the national headquarters and not negotiable
by the sales rep!  And many classes in collegiate business schools
teach how to support the market for goods and services.  How is that
any more in violation of anti trust legislation than our discussion
of supply and demand or whether increasing price in a certain market
circumstance could constitute gouging?  As long as we don't say,
"that price is too much" or "that price is too little", I can't see
how we violate any unfair trade practice law.

Gasoline retailers must be in much deeper water than we, since they
call around several times a day to see what their direct competitors
are selling for before deciding whether to or how much to change the
price on their own signs.

Even if we disagree with others' pricing practices, probably the best
thing to do is keep quiet and compete in such a way that our own
individual consciences can be at peace with.

Ed Foote wrote:
> Right here in this town, there are advertised
> prices for plumbers, window cleaners, chiropractors, lawn
> maintenance, gasoline,
> Lazik eye surgeons, attorneys,  and a bunch of others.  There is
> nothing sacred
> about us tuning pianos.

....and toilet paper, hamburger meat, onions, 2 liter cokes, golf
clubs, tennis shoes, lawn mowers. bicycles, tools, automobiles,
grills, underwear, mattresses, linens, haircuts, body tanning, gym
memberships, car washes, oil changes....

...just check the flyers in your Sunday paper, or look on the window
of the grocery store as you ride by.  As long as there is not an
organized group attempting to establish unfair trade practices, there
is apparently no legal movement to end the practice of publishing
local businesses' prices for goods and services.  Why can everybody
but piano tuners advertise their price?

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina