[CAUT] soundboard crack

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Apr 27 19:50:24 MDT 2006

<<  I called the rebuild

> shop and they said that the pinblock to be planed and

> that it was common for a pinblock to 'drop' a bit.

> I've not experienced that yet in my 4 years as a tech. >>

The only times I have seen that in the last 30 years has been a result of
incredibly poorly installed blocks, or blocks that had had the tuning pins driven
in without support,(pushing the bottom lamination down).
     Also, if the crack is parallel to the ribs, it is not a crack, it is a
rib separation.  If this is a new soundboard, somebody is in trouble.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT