[CAUT] Weight of solder

Alan Crane alan.crane at wichita.edu
Sat Apr 22 19:11:23 MDT 2006

At 07:02 PM 4/22/06, Keith Roberts wrote:
>Looking at the hammers, they can't weigh more than 3
>grams so I was going to increase the weight by wrapping some solder around
>the shank.
>
>Any other ideas?

Hi Keith,

Yes.
If you're wanting to add weight, the quickest and easiest method is
to install shank weights (per David Stanwood, Yamaha, etc.).
Go to an office supply store and pick up some small binder clips.
I use Acco brand, small size... 12 to a box, but other brands will
work just fine ( 3/4" length, 3/8" capacity).
Clip one on each shank and then remove the two little wire handles
(they just pop out... and back in again to move, or remove, the clips
later).  The clip without the handles weighs in at approx. 1.4g and
you can slide it along the shank to tailor the effect (ie. closer to
the hammer for greatest weight/inertial mass gain or closer to the
flange center for less).
You can install more than one on a shank if need be.
These clips grip tightly and stay put but are easy to install and remove.
Others may have better recommendations but this may be worth a try;
its quick, non-invasive, secure, cheap, and re-usable.
Best of luck Keith _________ let us know the results.

Regards,

Alan B. Crane,  RPT
School of Music