[CAUT] downbearing gauge, homemade

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Apr 5 19:25:06 MDT 2006

Yes, don¹t make it for sale without investigating. I tried to buy a Lowell
gauge for several years running: back ordered and not filled. I finally
asked and was told it might not become available again. At which point I
decided to make one, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. If someone wanted to
challenge that patent, they might have a good case, based on its not having
been exercised. I understand that if you get a patent, but then fail to make
use of the item/process/whatever by manufacturing, making available to the
public, the patent lapses, loses force. Not something I care to find out
about, but if it isn¹t true, it ought to be.
    As long as I¹m opining on the subject of patents, I have to say I vastly
prefer the Spurlock approach: come up with a design, tell people about it,
then manufacture it at a reasonable price. The idea catches on better, and
you probably make more money in the long run. We are such a tiny market that
patenting something like Lowell¹s gauge is rather silly IMO. I have no
objection to somebody making some money on inventiveness, but a bit of
common sense doesn¹t hurt, either. BTW, I notice in the latest Pianotek
catalog that Lowell¹s gauge is listed ³call for price.²
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico