[CAUT] Baldwin SD

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Apr 3 12:50:05 MDT 2006

Thanks, Ron. That's very helpful. The cumulative loss of compression
would be due to repeated cycling of high to low humidity, yes?
Resulting in crushed wood fiber structure?
	I'll start examining pianos with a little more care and attention.
Partly it's a question of knowing precisely what to be looking at and
listening for. And having the tools to measure.
	BTW, I recently constructed a home made version of the Lowell gauge
(when I finally decided to spring for one a few years ago, it had
become unavailable). I'll post pictures for those interested.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu

On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:58 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>     Is it a matter of "stiffness" (which can mean DB, spongy wood,
> lack of firm support from rim, a few scenarios)?

Stiffness. Cumulative loss of compression in the panel letting the
assembly become too flexible. Sometimes, adding mass can compensate
to some degree (up to a point), but the lack of stiffness that caused
the problem the weight lessened, is still there.
<snip>