[CAUT] Econ Article

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:19:06 -0500

On Oct 31, 2005, at 3:59 PM, Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> Me very lucky living so close to campus that I can easily walk. ;-}

Doesn't your case get awful heavy? : )

Seriously, ya don't particularly want to put your kids in school
within walking range just anywhere.

>> Reduced mileage, but absolutely NO income tax deduction either.
>> That 48 cents a mile would come in handy for commuters too.
>>

> It kicks in completely for "moonlighting". If you do a tuning on
> your way home, at least _that_ part of the commute is covered.

Certainly.  What I meant though was the comparison -- yes you're
driving more, but earning more, AND you get compensated for the
mileage.  But you can't get compensated for your "commute" mileage if
you select the reduced income FTE option.

So, if you're walking, how do you show the IRS proof of that mileage
for your "moonlighting" on the way home?  : )

Jeff T