Piano Lab budget (was [CAUT] Econ Article)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:40:25 -0700

Hi Richard,
     Responding to your particular query about piano labs, our
department has a course fee for group piano courses for that precise
purpose. It paid for the current equipment (Rolands, beginning as a
hybrid loan program in which we bought an instrument or two each
semester), and builds up now to pay for any maintenance and
replacement as needed.
     Course fees, course fees, course fees - we couldn't function
without them. We have one college wide (College of Fine Arts,
including theater, dance, art and art history as well as music)
devoted to "technology" (used for computer labs, for staff to take
care of computers, for software, for LCD projectors, etc); one
applied to all music department courses, dedicated to acoustic piano
replacement and maintenance; various fees attached to individual
courses or programs, with money collected dedicated to those courses
or programs (eg, jazz history uses its fees to have a couple live
performances each semester, as well as for purchase of recorded
music; orchestra pays for rental of parts and scores, guest
conductors and soloists, extra musicians to fill needed parts). I
have mixed feelings about the principle of "socking it to the
student" at a "state-sponsored" institution, but as a practical
matter, course fees have transformed our department from unbearable
to "quite reasonable, thank you very much."
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm@unm.edu
  "Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to
shape it."
Bertolt Brecht