[CAUT] Test Blows and Alternatives

Andrew Anderson andrew@andersonmusic.com
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:12:58 -0600

I was introduced to using a thumper (for lack of a better name) while
complaining at a chapter meeting about sore fingers.  Essentially I
have (from SAMA) a piece of pin-block tapered down on one end and
tipped with ~1/2" of hammer felt.  There is a velcro strap to hold
the block to the hand allowing me to play interval checks without
having to drop and then pick it up.  Now I can feel it in the wrist
if I don't watch the wrist "posture" and stiffly rest my arm weight
on it.  Now that it is easier to thump I remind myself to go easy.

I noted that Overs mentions rubbing the strings down with a cloth to
find and re-set loose unisons.  The idea of pushing a string with a
beat-suppressor/hammer-shank is also a very effective idea.  Another
method I've heard of is to press the damper pedal and slap all the
keys, vigorously activating the sound-board and thereby loosening any
low tension portions of a string segment into the speaking
length.  Of-course, on an older piano this might be a sound-board/rim
glue joint separating tactic.

Question is, how much time do these add to setting a pin and
unison?  It would have the advantage of not abusing hammers and, I
think, a time disadvantage.  I thump and then play a soft listening
note, move, thump-thump, and then listen etc.  I've worked on hammer
technique to the point I can usually count on moving no more than 2
cents at a time.  I've been working on getting under that but am not
consistent yet, may have to get a better, stiffer hammer for more feedback.

On new pianos I have found it important to do the back-scale work.  I
pitch-corrected a new D some 30 cents and then began the fine tuning
pass.  There was too much string noise.  The strings were slightly
over pitch so why not?  I went to the back, tightened the loop around
the hitch-pin, tamped the string on both sides of the rear bearing,
back to front, lightly seated with a sideways push to tighten the
bend at the rear of the bridge and then pushed down with a
beat-suppressor at the front of the bridge.  Ready for a fine tuning?
No! Imagine my chagrin at another 20+cent pitch-correction. >:-o ( I
was being paid a flat tuning fee for all the pianos which were
supposed to be well maintained.  They couldn't/wouldn't afford
more.)  I'm sure I'll thank myself next time I tune it. ;-)  One
probably should fill in that well of instability from time to
time.  The rear duplexes were all nice and tame afterwards. 8-)  Got
lots of nice comments on the work.

Sometimes the problem is too-much friction at the front bearing.  On
some Chinese makes I've had the strings distorted by the felt just
back of the front bearing.  Adding a very little CLP on the strings
over the felt helped this (careful on your choice of lube and
quantity, you don't want any to migrate back to the pins).

I find that timely tuning intervals--small pitch adjustments--and
consistent tuning placement results in much easier unison setting.
Ultimately you want to be able to thump as little as possible.

Andrew Anderson
LISD, UISD, LCC, TAMIU