[CAUT] Hearing Protection Desirable for Tuning?

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:14:34 -0700 (PDT)

This discussion is very helpful. Thank you for the

The Troost article does indicate with good evidence,
that piano tuning, particularly with loud blow
technique, can and does cause hearing damage.

We have been taught to use loud or firm blow
techniques for years. The Steinway manual encourages
this. (Not to blame them but just to say this has been
the normal recommendation.)

A tuning teacher of mine remarked that hearing loss
from tuning didn't seem likely to him because the
decibel level just wasn't there.

In the tuning exam we are encouraged to use test blows
to stabilize and then the examiners use test blows for
grading.

There is a pattern of a damage causing technique that
has been encouraged in our profession.  I believed
what I read and heard.  Now after only 7 years of
tuning, I may be already experiencing some damage. My
ears have been ringing when I lay down at night (at
that time my environment is finally quiet enough that
I can notice the ringing sound that has been there all
day anyway).  So, I became concerned and began using
the 20db disposable plugs regularly.  Earlier I had
used these and others (I think Diane Hofstetter's that
I bought at a convention a few years ago. What is the
db rating on those?)
I now want some that will be comfortable to wear at
every tuning and everytime I am exposed to loudness.

The ringing, or tinnitus, has not stopped even though
I am using the plugs regularly. I'm wondering if the
15 db filters are enough for the needed protection.
It seems most of you who have said you use plugs use
the 15db.

Another problem with loud blow techniques is the
possible damage and pain to the playing hand. Could
this also lead to carpel tunnel.

A mentor of mine, who has done a lot of high level
concert tuning, has switched to pianissimo tuning.  To
make sure the string is set he uses a hammer shank to
push sideways on the string.  This may bring about the
same amount of deflection in the string as a loud test
blow.  I believe John Patton of Steinway told of this
technique.  It sounds pretty good but I wonder about
damage to the agraffe by pushing the string like this.
 I would like to hear your thoughts on this as far as
effectiveness and agraffe or capo problems that may
result. (Sorry to open  another can of worms.)

In summary, I believe we have, albeit not on purpose,
fostered the use of potentially damaging techniques
for our ears, hands and wrists.

There may have been an occassional class or article on
this in the past, however a much stronger and
consistent emphasis needs to be made.  Do you agree?

Cheerios!
Bob Hull

http://www.troostmuziek.nl/Piano%20Onderzoek%20LUMC.htm