[CAUT] Hearing Protection Desirable for Tuning?

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:24:45 -0400

On Oct 28, 2005, at 1:56 PM, Porritt, David wrote:

> I've never seen scientific studies on damage from the typical sound
> pressure level of tuning pianos, but I've met a bunch of older tuners
> who had lost it.

Age causes hearing loss also.

As can the healthy immune reaction of sinus drainage filling up the
eustachian tubes.

The decibel level tuners are exposed to is not a constant exposure,
but rather, as I understand it, intermittent "blasts" of sound in the
90 - 95 db range.  That isn't what I understand this Hearnet.com web
site to describe as being dangerous.  It uses the phrase, "regular
SUSTAINED exposure", and then it says "MAY cause permanent damage".
I'm assuming they're using language here common to these
recommendations.

Is that kind of like the amount of artificial sweetener in 246 (or
whatever that ridiculous number was) cans of diet soda per day MAY
cause cancer?

And, by the way, I've sung in front of some "fortissimo singers" that
had to have been louder than 70 db.  If a "fortissimo singer" is only
70 db, I have a hard time with some of the other numbers posted on
that web page.  Like "dial-tone of a telephone - 80 db".  What volume
setting was it measured at? how far from the receiver?  Really?  and
that's louder than Samuel Ramey?

JeffT