[CAUT] Hearing Protection

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:11:09 EDT

It's interesting that Bob brought this up right now. I was just about to
send out a e-mail to ask about the comfort of these things. For several months
now I've been bothered by loud noises, not only tuning the upper register of
piano, but also loud crowd noise, and the organ at church. I sit in the back
row  of our choir loft, which is right in front of the pipe organ. It drives me
crazy. I leave for the postlude, especially when the organist plays something
 loud and fast, which he usually does. He's great player, and I can't ask him
to  tone it down, because when I've been down in the sanctuary, the sound is
just  right.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I went to the University Speech and Hearing
Center, and got a hearing check up. My hearing is fine, except it drops off a
little in the high register, which is normal for someone my age (60). But the
audiologist said I did have tenuitis (sp) So I got a pair of custom made ear
plugs. It only cost $100. Compared to what some of you are paying, I guess I
got  a pretty good deal

But what I was going to ask is, how long does it take to get used to these
things? They don't hurt, but it is irritating to have them in my ear.  I also
found that there are several positions to put them in. If I put them in  all
the way, I can't hear the subtleties of unisons or intervals. So I have to  put
them in only half way. I also found that if I put in just my right ear, and
leave the left one out, I can hear better.

Any of you have this experience?

Wim

In a message dated 10/28/2005 12:21:15 AM Central Standard Time,