[CAUT] Hearing Protection - P.S.

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 05:30:02 -0500

At 04:13 AM 10/28/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>At 00:20 10/28/2005, you wrote:
>>I'm looking at two brands of earplugs for hearing
>>protection: E.A.R. inc.  and Etymotic.  Both have ER-
>>25 and maybe ER-15 filtered plugs that are custom
>>moldable to fit.  Etymotic has a do it yourself mold
>>kit; and E.A.R. sends you to an audiologist type to
>>get the impression done for some $.  Etymotic plugs
>>are 152.00 with free molding kit while E.A.R plugs are
>>130.00 plus but maybe about $35 that will have to be
>>paid to someone to get the impressions done.
>>
>>I have been using some Etymotic ER-20 (not custom)
>>that I bought at the convention (cheap ones).  They do
>>pretty well but quite a few pianos still bother me
>>while tuning the higher octaves.
>>
>>I'm interested in your experiences with either of
>>these brands or others and what level of filter you
>>have found to be good.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Bob Hull
>

>I recently got an audiogram and the ER-15 custom molded plugs. The ER-15
>has the flattest attenuation curve available from that company, and has
>the dual advantage of not only being enough to afford sufficient
>protection, but not too much to preclude tuning of the top octave where
>the piano is getting weaker. I've had my ER-15's for 8 years now.
>
>I AM sold on aural protection. I've been using  _something_ for over 30
>years, and my hearing now is within the margin of error with my audiogram
>from 1989.
>;-}

Mine are the Westone (Etymotic Research, Inc) ER-15. I have the blurb with
the attenuation charts here at school and, indeed, the 15dB has the
flattest curve.

It doesn't chart a 20dB, but for the 25dB model the curve goes from 20dB at
~125Hz to about 28dB at ~4000Hz. Since the theoretical top of the piano is
4186Hz, I can see where you have difficulty hearing that range. The piano
is getting weaker as the plugs are getting more effective.

I find no problem tuning most pianos all the way up (without pulling out
the plugs) while using the 15's.  The reason I got that audiogram in '89
was that I thought I was losing my hearing, since I had to do just that
while using el-cheapo rubber plugs. I don't think the Westone plugs were
available at that time. By '97 they were, and the rest is history.

I deduct the cost.

YMMV, of course.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.