[CAUT] Hearing Protection

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:20:44 -0700 (PDT)

I'm looking at two brands of earplugs for hearing
protection: E.A.R. inc.  and Etymotic.  Both have ER-
25 and maybe ER-15 filtered plugs that are custom
moldable to fit.  Etymotic has a do it yourself mold
kit; and E.A.R. sends you to an audiologist type to
get the impression done for some $.  Etymotic plugs
are 152.00 with free molding kit while E.A.R plugs are
130.00 plus but maybe about $35 that will have to be
paid to someone to get the impressions done.

I have been using some Etymotic ER-20 (not custom)
that I bought at the convention (cheap ones).  They do
pretty well but quite a few pianos still bother me
while tuning the higher octaves.

I'm interested in your experiences with either of
these brands or others and what level of filter you
have found to be good.

Thanks,
Bob Hull

http://farechase.yahoo.com