[CAUT] hammer juicing

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:12:46 -0600

Try to visualize a "scale" of "brightness", and give us an idea about where
you think they are now, past A5, and how far you want to bring them up.
Like.... from a "5" to an "8", or something like that. If it's a big jump,
pull the action. It's harder to get an even amount of juice on the smaller
hammers anyway, so lay it over and let gravity be your friend. You're gonna
want to start with a thin solution, and just reinforce the shoulders. One
or two drops of thin keytop/acetone at three and nine o'clock will normally
do the trick. You can watch from the side and see it soak to the core.
Ideally it will leave a pie-shaped un-soaked section from one o'clock to
eleven. Leave the crown until you've heard what the shoulder treatment
accomplished, since there's no hurry. Fine grit filing may be all that's
needed after that. The Hamilton usually responds well to a little string
straightening in that section, also. Right where it drops off the plate
termination, it's usually got a little curve towards the action. Tap them
down, or massage them down with a brass rod. Be sure the hammers are well
mated. That can bring up the tone and help the sustain quite a bit,
although it doesn't help the current tuning a whole lot. Before the action
goes back in, do something to eliminate any false beats in that area. Make
sure dip and blow are sufficient. The strike line didn't go "up" with
the  replacement hammers, did it? That's never satisfying.

Later,
Guy