[CAUT] tech position

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:48:29 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/2005 8:01:10 AM Central Standard Time,
rwest1@unl.edu writes:

Hello,  All,

Here's a real life scenario from a music school administrator who  used
to live here in Lincoln.  I'd like to get your
comments/suggestions/ideas before I send a reply.

Richard West,  RPT
University of Nebraska, Lincoln

"we farm our piano work  out to a number of different individuals.  We
pay about $13,000 a  year, but this is basically tuning.  Instruments are
repaired only as  needed and then only when absolutly necessary.  Regular
scheduled  maintenance is non-existant. What we need is a piano
technician, but there  is no way that I will be able to convince the
upper administration to fund  such a position.

So what I'm exploring is the possibility of going  together with one
other university in the area to hire a full-time  technician who could
serve essentially as a half-time technician at each  school.  I'm not
sure how a contract would or could be drawn up, but  conceptually I'm
interested in seeing if this would  work.

so

Do you know of any other place that has this type of an  arrangement,
i.e. one person who is hired by two schools to a full-time  position
where he/she would essentially work 1/2 time at each  school

How would we go about finding such a person?  How would  ascertain if
they are competent?

Finally, what would a new  technician earn?  I understand that this will
vary in different parts  of the country, but I'm hoping that I could pull
together @$30,000 a year  in salary + all the benefits that would go
along with a normal university  staff position; health care, retirement,
life insurance, dental,  etc.

Do you think that would do it?"

A lot would depend on how many pianos there are at each university. I guess
that is where the negotiations would come in.

Instead of trying to find one tech who is divided between two schools,  has
the administrator considered hiring a part time tech who could also teach  part
time, thus making the individual a full time employee of the school.

Wim