[CAUT] John Cage, "The Earth Shall Bear Again"

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:30:00 -0400

On Oct 20, 2005, at 2:04 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:

> Picking up this broken thread, I just came across the information
> that Cage composed at a Steinway model O. This is particularly
> useful information <snip>

yes, very!  Thank you!

> when deciphering his more detailed preparation instructions: there
> are a few pieces where he specifies distance from dampers or bridge
> within 1/16".

Yes, this piece specifies distance from dampers to within 1/16", like
you say.  But oddly, given such precise measurements, I don't
understand why he didn't go ahead and specify what size screws?
exactly what he meant by "piece of plastic", "large piece of bamboo",
and "two thicknesses of woolen material"?

His genius has been touted, yet he didn't have the foresight to
consider what effects would be brought about by performing on larger
or smaller instruments (or instruments with a strut in the way).

I've still got to go look up that book Eric mentioned, and I'm going
to.  I've also suggested to the student that she go check it out.

> (OTOH, there are many pieces where he is very vague about where
> along the string length to place the prescribed object). Obviously,
> the precise instructions should be modified when using a different
> size piano. If, as is likely, an O isn't available, L or A would be
> good substitutes (or 6' + or - in other makes).

And, no, we don't have an O or an A, and there are no double doors
through which we might roll an L or B (come to think of it, a lack of
double doors to the hall isn't the only problem) -- either would have
to be broken down and brought in and set back up.  Too much trouble
for this, I think, especially considering we are technically supposed
to have to pay the university movers to come move pianos.  The
recital will have to be done on one of our two Ds in the hall.

Is there enough scale difference between an O and an L to make his
measurements incorrect for an L?
Jeff