[CAUT] lack of support

Robin Blankenship tunerdude@comcast.net
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:11:58 -0400

Wim,

I'd have to say, "do not be disheartened". There were most likely quite =
a number of separate and different reasons that individuals did not =
attend. Also, if this was the first time you presented a recital, very =
possibly there was not enough awareness among the faculty yet for them =
to feel interest. Give another....and yet another. Give some time and =
space for word to get around.=20

BTW, I'm wondering about tuning a piano for use with handbells. I once =
measured a handbell as having negative inharmonicity; and, decided based =
upon this not to stretch a piano quite a much as usual. Anybody have any =
thoughts or advice about this??

Regards,
Robin Blankenship
Matoaca, VA

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:08 PM
  Subject: [CAUT] lack of support

  As most of you know, I play handbells. Last year I was given a =
shop/office that is big enough to set up 3 octave set of handbells. For =
those of you that are not familiar with this, my shop is so big, that =
this requires and area of about 20' by 8', and I still have enough room =
left over for my desk, work benches and cabinets, and to set up a grand =
piano. But never mind about that.=20

  With the handbells set up all the time, I had the opportunity to =
practice a lot, and so I decided to put on a recital at the music =
school. On the program I played 8 solos, my wife and I played 6 duets, =
with a friend from church a trio, and I had the Crimson Ringers, the =
student handbell ensemble which I direct, play 2 pieces.

  The recital was last Thursday, and it went very well. We had a very =
appreciative audience of about 70 people show up. But the audience was =
made up of people from my church, the community chorus my wife and I =
sing in, and other people from the community. But as far as I know, =
there were no School of Music faculty in the audience. I had sent out an =
invitation to all the faculty and staff, and there were posters all =
around the building announcing the recital, but not one of them showed =
up.=20

  I can understand that handbells are not for everyone, and I know there =
were some faculty members that were out of town or had other =
obligations. But you would think that out of 40 people, one or two of =
them would have the time to come and hear the recital. On the one hand I =
am grateful for the people that did show up, but on the other hand, I am =
somewhat disappointed with the lack of support from the faculty.=20

  Have any of you had a similar experience?

  Wim=20