[CAUT] lack of support

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:24:02 -0500

At 09:49 AM 10/20/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>Wim,
>
>Just a thought – Do you attend many of their concerts? All of us should go
>to as many faculty recitals as we can and make our presence known. Call it
>brown nosing if you want, but when a faculty member gives a recital I let
>them see me “hovering” around the piano as if their recital was the most
>important event of the semester. From then on when I see them in the hall
>they thank me for the work I did. Actually, I didn’t do that much extra
>work, I just made sure they knew I was there for them. It greases the
>wheel enormously and they become friends. And frankly, I think that’s how
>we should all treat each other. One big problem though, by making these
>friends I got my foot caught in the door… I don’t want to leave BYU and my
>friends.
>
>Regards,
>Jim Busby BYU
>
>p.s. I don’t really like going to all the recitals, but I do try to go to
>faculty recitals when my pianos are involved. Afterwards, I’m almost
>always glad I went.
>

>----------

Jim,

Here, ANY piano used is one of "mine".

When I first got here, I used to go to a bunch of, even student,
recitals.  Then, I wanted to get a life off-campus.  They know that if they
have a Wednesday evening recital, _I_ will not be there because of bell
choir rehearsal. (Trumpet prof is director, so they know I'm not making it
up...)

If I got 4-5 months off a year, I might be more inclined to spend more time
here while school is in session. As it is, I am like many of the faculty
and only go to recitals in my "area".  That means I go to most of the
faculty piano, organ and harpsichord recitals, and precious little else.

That doesn't mean I don't maintain a comforting visibility when preparing
for other recitals, they just know I won't be there at showtime.

Conrad Hoffsommer
I tried to get a life once, but they were all out of stock.