[CAUT] Odds & Ends - The ethnic angle - OT

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:30:35 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_PtbqpwTiefzfXfuUauQRmw)
David,

>>  We have quite a few Orientals & probably some=20
>> others that have fairly small hands & it could be especially useful for=
 them.

>>Avery
>
>Hi Avery -
>As you may not have a chance to order a new=20
>flame suit before the cauls start coming in, I=20
>thought I'd insert this passage, quoted from  freedictionary.com:

Nothing personal, at all. Just glad we're not so PC around here in Texas!=
 :-D

>>[]
>> ri=B7en
>>[]
>>tal=B7ly adv.
>>Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in=20
>>place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or=20
>>descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Oriental
>>[]
>>meaning "eastern"
>>[]
>>is that it identifies Asian countries and=20
>>peoples in terms of their location relative to=20
>>Europe. However, this objection is not=20
>>generally made of other Eurocentric terms such=20
>>as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem=20
>>with Oriental is more likely its connotations=20
>>stemming from an earlier era when Europeans=20
>>viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as=20
>>exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the=20
>>home of despotic empires and inscrutable=20
>>customs. At the least these associations can=20
>>give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in=20
>>contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental=20
>>to be elected from the district) it is now=20
>>widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental=20
>>should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to=20
>>be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic,=20
>>its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases=20
>>such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine,=20
>>is not usually considered objectionable.

Interesting. I've never meant anything derogatory=20
by the term & have never heard of anyone (here, anyway) taking it that way.

>Frankly, I'm not sure if an ethnic Korean, for=20
>example, would be any more (or less) insulted=20
>being referred to as an Asian than he or she=20
>might be when spoken of as an Oriental.   What=20
>if "Asia" meant "Land to the East of those=20
>"?  It would still be defining a population=20
>relative to some other population.  If we, as=20
>"Westerners" could easily discern a Laotian from=20
>a Cambodian from a Burmese or a Myanmarian,=20
>(:O), we would be less inclined to employ such collective nouns.

You're probably correct.

>So, Avery, here's your act of deep penitence:=20
>find out, from Admissions Office the actual=20
>student population breakdown by nationality,=20
>and, for added karma, measure and correlate their hand sizes.  :)

Might be interesting. If I had nothing better to do, of course. :-D

>   Well, I thought it was funny anyway, but maybe I need a flame suit too.

I agree. But I doubt you'll need one. I might, though.

Avery

>David Skolnik

_______________________
Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4017=20

--Boundary_(ID_PtbqpwTiefzfXfuUauQRmw)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--Boundary_(ID_PtbqpwTiefzfXfuUauQRmw)--

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 5a00103.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 1095 bytes