[CAUT] Odds & Ends

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:23:47 -0500

Dave,

At 02:43 PM 10/18/2005, you wrote:
>Avery:
>
>Yes we have several 7/8 keyboards.  Dr. Leone is the teacher who uses
>and teaches on these.

Thanks. That's the name. (You too, Chris.)

>We have a 7/8 keyboard in a B in her studio along with a "normal" B.  We
>still have the regular keyboard for that piano but I don't think it's
>been used for a couple of years.
>
>We have a 7/8 action for a D in our recital hall and 3 uprights with 7/8
>actions.

I didn't realize there were uprights also. How does that work. Just change
out the keys? Or does it also have a different action?

>For practice, Dr. Leone has been quite generous in allowing
>students to use the 7/8 in her studio and they have the 3 uprights.
>When a recital is scheduled for a pianist using the 7/8 it is scheduled
>in the recital hall that has that D.

That may be our problem here. The students primarily use one hall & faculty
& guests use the large one. And since it's Abbey wanting one
here.......... :-)

>I've changed the cheek blocks on
>that piano so it has thumb screws so a person can exchange the actions
>without the need for any tools.

Two of ours have wing nuts.

>I made a PowerPoint presentation that
>shows how to swap the actions simple enough for even pianists!  :-)

If we ever get one, I may be contacting you about that.

>The actions for a Steinway D are adjustable to fit any Steinway D with a
>half day's work (or so).  There are adjustments to cope with unlevel key
>beds, wrong string height, quick adjustment for damper timing, etc.

With that information, it might could be made to work here. Assuming the
recitals aren't scheduled TOO close together. :-)

>We've had at least one of these since October 2000.  If you have more
>questions, I've had lots of experience with them.

Thanks for the offer. I'll remember that.

Avery

P.S. Will it even fit the Nossaman 'D'? ;-)