[CAUT] 1966 G-2 THANKS ALL!!

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:20:15 -0400

On Oct 14, 2005, at 1:04 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
> Is Japanese written left to right?

I don't know.  Some languages are left to right, some are right to
left, but that wasn't my point.

> I see the scale numbers thing as a non problem that should have
> taken less thought to work out than any one of the posted messages
> it prompted.

Certainly, Ron and John, I agree with you.  I was neither arguing nor
suggesting it's something difficult to decipher.  It's quite easy.
Neither were my posts about Japanese vs American, because Baldwin's
and Steinway's numbers go in opposite directions.  And my posts,
unlike the original, referred to a single wire replacement thought
process.  I was merely saying we are programmed from birth to process
everything in a left to right progression..  We get in a hurry
replacing broken strings and this is probably one of those processes
we make mistakes on more often by the simple habit of our brainwashed
reflexes, so you gotta pay attention to the numbers at each end just
as much as the ones around the wire you're replacing.  That's all I
meant.

Otto wrote:
> Get a digital caliper & just check them out.  It gets between the
> strings easily & is fast, whether the numbers are there or not.
> Mic. the wires on either side of the numbers if you're unsure  It
> really doesn't take that long, especially if you're taking the
> strings off anyway.  I'd rather be sure than depend on a stamp on
> the bridge.

Yes, as long as somebody else hasn't come along and got in a hurry
and didn't pay attention to the direction the piano was originally
strung, and, possessing that left to right brainwashing, mistakenly
put the wrong size wire in ahead of you.
Jeff