[CAUT] Keydip--how deep

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:02:28 -0400

List, this really depends on the ratio and when you get down around 5.0 =
it is possible to need over 4.20" dip and I have been there and have =
found it workable. I am much more concerned with the hammer weight to =
ratio marriage than the dip to blow relationship, however, the shanks =
can't get so far off the rest cushions that you encourage lock up on =
fast and hard repetition and the dip can't get so deep that you have to =
raise the black keys to where they hit the fallboard. Anyway Wim seems =
more on the money to me, improving (Moving up) letoff and reducing drop =
is the first thing I do but then I sometimes have to roughen the tails =
to... oh it's a long and winding road that leads...  Chris Solliday
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 3:34 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Keydip--how deep

  In a message dated 10/11/2005 1:21:07 PM Central Standard Time, =
piano57@insightbb.com writes:
    I suppose what it really comes down to is how much difference in =
power there would be between 1 7/8" blow and 1 3/4"?  Significant?  This =
is a really big hall (a bit less than 3500 seats), so power is an issue. =
=20

    Right now (with Crescendo punchings) dip is at .401" (my .391 block =
with a .010" punching added), blow around 1 3/4" with .030" aftertouch.  =
It feels a lot better <to me> than when the blow was at 1 7/8", though I =
didn't have any complaints when the dip was deeper.  I did go back and =
read a bunch of stuff in the archives about dip and folks reported that =
they didn't have complaints about deep dip, but I don't recall anyone =
getting real specific about how deep they were actually willing to go.

    Thanks for sharing your experience,

    Barbara Richmond, RPT =20
  Blow should be closer to 1 7/8" Dip should be in the .400 range, as =
has been mentioned, as long as you have after touch.=20

  One thing I try for, and have had no complaints, is a real tight let =
off. I try to get as close to the string as possible, less than 1/16", =
which then also allows you to reduce drop slightly, which give you a =
little more breathing room for the aftertouch.=20

  Wim