[CAUT] Keydip--how deep

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:32:10 -0700

.420 inches is 10.67 millimeters...I think I'd shorten my blow a bit...=

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Ken Zahringer"
To: "College and University Technicians"
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Keydip--how deep

I like to keep the blow on our Ds as close to 1 7/8 as possible.  I usu=
ally start at .400 dip and go deeper if needed.  I don=92t think I=92d =
go deeper than .420.

JMO,
Ken Z.

On 10/11/05 1:20 PM, "Barbara Richmond" <piano57@insightbb.com> wrote:

Hi folks,

I've had some private correspondence with a few about this, but what th=
e heck, I'll go public to get a few more opinions.

Just wondering how deep you are willing to go with the key dip on a Ste=
inway D.   I'm trying to decide when to sacrifice blow distance for com=
fortable dip--or making the dip deeper than I like to eek out more blow=
 distance.

I suppose what it really comes down to is how much difference in power =
there would be between 1 7/8" blow and 1 3/4"?  Significant?  This is a=
 really big hall (a bit less than 3500 seats), so power is an issue.

Right now (with Crescendo punchings) dip is at .401" (my .391 block wit=
h a .010" punching added), blow around 1 3/4" with .030" aftertouch.  I=
t feels a lot better <to me> than when the blow was at 1 7/8", though I=
 didn't have any complaints when the dip was deeper.  I did go back and=
 read a bunch of stuff in the archives about dip and folks reported tha=
t they didn't have complaints about deep dip, but I don't recall anyone=
 getting real specific about how deep they were actually willing to go.=

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Barbara Richmond, RPT

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT