[CAUT] Kawai GS-40

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:21:06 -0400

David, the GS-40 succeeded the GS-30. It was not top of the line in the
sense of one-off, hand-made, and so on. It was a production unit and was
"more special" than the KG series. Among other things, it features an
active duplex (too active for some situations).

It's almost SOP for Kawai to observe top-down manufacturing procedures.
If they find something of value in the high-end and experimental pianos
that can reasonably ($$) be adopted into production units, they do it.
Some of the "features" of the GS series therefore filtered down to
lower-priced units.

Originally, the GS's also received extra tweaking compared to the KG
series. Specifically, a final tuner/voicer/regulator would spend more
quality time in closed quarters than would, say, a KG-3, prior to being
shipped.

Sorry, at one time I could have quoted chapter and verse, but can no
longer pull that off!

Jim Harvey