[CAUT] Grease/Oil on upright pressure bar

ed440@mindspring.com ed440@mindspring.com
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 11:53:19 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Andrew:

Your best chance of saving the current strings will probably be by loosening tension, removing the pressure bars, and cleaning the bars and strings with rags and a solvent if needed.  This will be less labor than trying to clean under the bars with q-tips and rags, and more effective.  Be careful it does not migrate to the pinblock.

Someone mentioned checking the amount of bearing under the pressure bar, and that is good advice.

It would be desireable to identify the lubricant before proceeding, and to have records(photos and samples) in case it migrates and destroys the pianos.  Please be sure the faculty knows that this looks serious, and that you are trying to save the instruments.

Some years ago I worked behind a self-trained technician who lubricated the bridge tops with silicone paste.  As it migrated, it ruined all the bass strings.  No one in the school thought it was odd, since all the pianos had thumping basses!  "We're just a poor college with worn out pianos."

Ed S.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Anderson <andrew@andersonmusic.com>
Sent: Oct 7, 2005 8:35 AM
To: ilvey@sbcglobal.net, College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Grease/Oil on upright pressure bar

Most do have evidence of lubricant to a greater or lesser
degree.  The one that was the worst, so far, had terrible unisons
when I got to it. (I think the lubricant got all the way to the
bridge in the treble.)

The pin block is tight, the pins are "springy".  The average humidity
is 60% Rh right now.  In Laredo there aren't any mountains between us
and the cost so it doesn't get terribly dry
relative-humidity-wise.   Think south-Texas.

So, this is a foreign substance.  What is the least damaging way to
get it out?  I've mentally debated trickling various solvents down
the wires over the bar into a rag below.  I don't like that
idea.  Another that came to mind is using the heat gun to mobilize it
with heat and forced air out of that position.  That also has its
drawbacks, maybe less so than the first idea.  Anyone have tested
ideas or want to hazard some opinions?

PRN =/= as needed
TAMIU = Texas A & M International University

Andrew Anderson