[CAUT] FW: PTG 2006 Convention Update

Rick Florence Rick.Florence@asu.edu
Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:17:51 -0700

Hi all, sorry for the duplicate post.  This was sent to the ptg members
list.  Just  want to make sure I catch everyone who may not be on that list=
.
As always, suggestions are accepted.

Rick

_____________
Rick Florence
Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music

Dear Fellow Technicians,

I am Rick Florence, Institute Director of the 2006 Annual PTG Seminar
and=A0Institute.=A0 I have recently returned from Rochester and the
Convention=A0Planning Meeting and wanted to give you a preview of some of the
exciting things on=A0tap for June 21-25, 2006.=A0 The following is a synopsis=A0o=
what you will find in Rochester next year.=A0 Start planning now to attend!

The Rochester Institute has been designed to educate and inspire technician=
in three areas:

=80 Showcasing the work of the best technicians in the business

=80 Teaching new skills through hands-on training

=80 Introducing ways to keep more of your hard-earned money

Showcasing the Best Work

We have invited the best rebuilders of our trade to bring their works of
art=A0for all to see and appreciate.=A0 If you've observed endless slide=A0show
and PowerPoint presentations only to leave class still=A0unsure of what
constitutes a finely rebuilt piano, this event is for you.

The Rebuilders Showcase will begin the week with keynote lectures by
Anders=A0Askenfelt (Five Lectures on the Acoustics of the Piano) and Del
Fandrich.=A0=A0These lectures will be followed by two full days of rebuilding
presentations.=A0 Individual classes will conclude with a mini recital on
the=A0rebuilt piano, performed by students from Eastman School of Music.=A0
Each=A0showcase piano will then be placed in a gallery for all to inspect and
play.

Other classes will showcase skills not previously seen in PTG seminars.=A0
The=A0Renner Team will expand their All-Stars program to two days,
demonstrating a=A0complete action rebuild.=A0 Andre and Christian Bolduc will
lead a class=A0through a soundboard installation, including downbearing and
bridge notching=A0=AD all in two days.=A0 Other classes will be added with an
emphasis on showing=A0complete work, as opposed to lectures only.

Hands-on Skills=A0

Hands-on skills will be headlined by new, multi-day programs in both
grand=A0and upright regulation.=A0 Samick and Roger Jolly have created an
intensive=A0grand regulation program using 12 pianos.=A0 Each piano will have a
mentor and=A0five students.=A0 Instruction will include complete grand
regulation and=A0string work.=A0 This multi-session class will consume four
days, three hours=A0per day.=A0 The Yamaha Team will re-introduce the Vertical
Regulation=A0Curriculum.=A0 Running concurrently with the Samick program for
three days,=A0this program will be taught on 15 upright pianos, three student=
per piano.=A0=A0These classes are not intended for the casual observer, but for
those who=A0can commit to multiple sessions of intense hands-on instruction.

Bob Marinelli will offer a full day action weigh-off and design class
at=A0Eastman School of Music.=A0=A0 The emphasis of this class is to allow
all=A0attendees to participate in the work.=A0 You will leave this class
having=A0weighed-off an action, drilled for and inserted weights, and
understanding=A0more completely the issues of weight and action mechanics.

Another new program will be an all-day Introduction to Piano
Technology=A0seminar.=A0 This program is designed for the new technician who ha=
recently=A0entered the field of piano technology, or perhaps is new to a
certain area=A0of concentration.=A0 This multi-session class, which can be
attended by=A0individual subject, or as a complete program, will cover
everything from=A0identifying beats in tuning, to tool selection, to basic
understanding of=A0the upright and grand actions and how to service them.

We have asked a large number of our instructors to teach classes with
a=A0particular skill in mind and be available the following class period (in
the=A0same classroom) to guide interested hands-on students through the
newly=A0learned skill.=A0 Examples of a few of the classes we have scheduled in
this=A0manner are:

=80 Spinet and upright service with proper and safe action removal

=80 Damper service and regulation

=80 String repairs, including loops and knot tying

=80 Hammer filing=A0

=80 Player service and rebuilding

=80 Principles of tuning

Another new and exciting class for Rochester will be Hammer Design, with
Ray=A0Negron from Ronsen Piano Hammers.=A0 Ray will not only discuss
hammer=A0manufacture and design, but will have one of his presses in class an=
will=A0press a set of hammers as part of his lecture.

Holding On To Your Money

New to Rochester this year will be a dedicated Business Seminar on
Saturday=A0afternoon.=A0 If you have struggled in any aspect of running your
business,=A0chances are we will have a class tailored to your specific needs.=
=A0
The money you will save by implementing=A0business strategies taught in these
classes will pay for your attendance not=A0only this year, but in years to
come.=A0=A0Some of the topics covered will include=A0marketing,=A0business
management, appraisals,=A0client and inventory control, health insurance,
medical-spending accounts,=A0tax planning, and retirement.=A0=A0

Many other classes and events are planned for=A0Rochester.=A0 Information will
be posted on the convention web page=A0http://www.ptg.org/conv/2006, so check
it often=A0beginning November 1, 2005.=A0If you have made it this far, thanks
for your time.=A0 I look forward to=A0seeing you and learning with you in
Rochester, New York, June 21-25, 2006.=20