[CAUT] John Cage, "The Earth Shall Bear Again"

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:36:20 -0400

On Oct 5, 2005, at 11:48 AM, Otto Keyes wrote:

> My vote is to let the earth bear it....again.....give the rest of
> us a break
> outside the cage...
>
> Otto

Well, I would vote with you, but it is beginning to look like my
preferences and suggestions that prepared piano accelerates piano
wear are being totally ignored.

"I just want to do something different"

"but it sounds so cool"

Yeah, some people probably think the sound of an airliner colliding
with a tall building sounds cool and different too.

Anyhow, I agreed to help her with the preparation.  This piece didn't
look too involved as long as she lets me help.  Rather do it that way
than find a bunch of maimed damper felt and broken strings.  The
problem is going to become that she will want to rehearse it on a
prepared practice room piano from now till March.

Question is this:  the instructions give exact distance from the
damper to place the screws, bolts, etc.  How much does piano make and
model affect what Cage was after?  (I mean, really, was there really
a method to his madness? or was this guy just really doing some
serious d-basing?)  When he says "bamboo", is it a "slice" of large
bamboo or a "tube" of smaller diameter bamboo (like what he was using
to snort coke? maybe a doobie holder?)?  green or dried?  and what is
usually used for the "plastic" weaved around the low A, Bb, and B?
Drink straw maybe? (see snort)

No. I'm sorry. I just can't take this music form seriously.  But some
people want to give it merit.

Jeff