[CAUT] Anyone using UFO CA glue?

Dorothy Bell dabell58@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 17:13:42 -0400

Dear Friends,

It is my understanding that "CA glue" = cyanoacrylate glue;

cyanoacrylate is a molecule which is a chemical combination of the cyano
group and the acryl group;

once hit with moisture (H2O, or HOH), the molecule breaks down into the
acrylate plus -OH, which makes its little plastic bond or sheath or however
we like to look at it (remember acrylics, for hairbrush handles?);

and the cyano group gets hydrogenated and becomes our friend hydrogen
cyanide. Yes, the poison that we all know from murder and spy novels.
People are more or less susceptible to it. I don't know whether
susceptibility increases with exposure, either long-term or short-term. But
cyanoacrylate is very reactive, and the "zing" I feel in my lungs and nasal
passages is the chemical reacting with the moisture in my respiratory
tissues. It is possible to add perfumes to the material, I suppose, but CA
is CA. Less cyanide would always be better.

Just some thoughts from previous employment as a chemistry teacher and a
nurse --

Dorrie Bell