[CAUT] flashlight

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 22:34:54 -0400

A pet peeve of mine is lighting.   I buy LED flashlights with 100,000
bulbs and they don't stand up.  The bulb may be fine but they stop
working...I extend the spring...no avail.   I need a technical guide to
lighting in our work.  I have a headlight I use for camping that I can
use for work but they also seem to not like banging around in the
kit....SUGGESTIONS?

--
David, lighting is also one of my pet peeves, especially portable
lighting. This began during my first job with a miserly dealer who would

I'm gradually homing in on some favorites, but at the moment can best
advise what -not- to buy, whether tradiional, LED or headlamp. Will
spare everyone the details, since the goalpost moves almost weekly.
Bottom line is that I still have yet to find any ONE that fits all
needs, and routinely carry a minimum of three sources of illumination ON
me, more in the kit, and even more in backup. I've even kludged some
components together to make portable lights from something that was not
originally designed to be portable. (Funny, a couple of them became
commercially available years down the road, but not due to my efforts).

The best advice I can offer in exchange for the detail you provided is:

(1) Don't carry 'em in the kit. Or, don't let 'em bang around in the
kit. Some of the LED's are not just a matter of the bulbs -- some of
them have discrete modules that don't take kindly to the shuffling. Many
of them are made offshore, and with some of the components/leads being
quite small, there's the chance of either cold solder joints or just
plain fragility;
(2) With headlamps, the switch is often the culprit -- especially
slider-type switches.
(3) If you want to really dig in to the subject, check out the
discussions at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/.

Oh, my newest experiment is two days old, so I don't have a firm
opinion. It's an LED 'upgrade' kit from NiteIze that retros the
ubiquitous AA Maglite into an clustered LED. Details found at <
http://tinyurl.com/73zuk >.

These AA Mags were the only game in town for a long time, and since I
have about six of them, I thought I'd try the retro on one of them.

Regards,
Jim Harvey