[CAUT] Baldwin desks

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Mon, 03 Oct 2005 09:37:42 -0700

At 11:14 AM 10/3/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Some sort of metal capping would help.  Unfortunately, this one only has
>the screw holes up underneath pulled out.  You can't just put a plug or
>toothpicks in there either.  It's a soft wood that just tears all to pieces.

Oh, I finally woke up and realized which Baldwin music desks you were
talking about -- grand, not upright.

I had to deal with one which had be refitted with a big Lucite slab for a
church -- held by the same two small holes -- so the choir director could
see through it. It also needed help to stay on.

I can't quite picture the rails on that music desk -- could one be changed
or built up so that you could fit three or four honest hinges onto the
folding part? One could also fit a 1" piece of brass (thick) down the sides
at the back of the desk, folded over the edge, but by the time you'd routed
a place for it and fitted it in, you could probably have done a different
fix a couple of times over.