[CAUT] Air ratchet/impact tool for stringing?

DIANE HOFSTETTER dianepianotuner@msn.com
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:57:58 -0800

I used an air hammer for years.  Had a machinist make me a tool to fit over
the tuning pin.  Made the job MUCH EASIER on my body.  You can get air
hammers so inexpensively that I never oiled it, just threw it away and got a
new one when the time was right.

At one time I tried an air rachet.  It worked marvelously and was kind of
fun.  I pounded the pins in a depth that seemed appropriate, then fed the
wire (cut appropriately) into the becket and spun the pin in with the coil
forming beautifully around the pin.

Then I tried to teach my apprentice and her hand wasn't strong enough to
control the air rachet.  So I tried to teach my husband and after he almost
cut his thumb tip off by getting it in the way of the wire, I gave up on
that.

Afterwards I simply made the coil on the pin and then drove it in with the
air hammer.

Diane Hofstetter

[CAUT] Air ratchet/impact tool for stringing?
Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:49:33 -0600

A Palm nailer works marvelously.........
les bartlett