[CAUT] Self voicing hammers/work hardening

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 31 May 2005 12:34:00 -0600

On 5/23/05 11:07 PM, "Susan Kline" <skline@peak.org> wrote:
snip
> I did try very dilute keytop/acetone on a few notes once, and I must admit
> that I heard that spicky clicky sound ever afterward, even after needling
> -- though I didn't go so far as to try to soak it out with acetone.
snip
> Regards,
> Susan

    Eric Schandall's method of applying keytop/acetone includes, after
applying a small drop or two to the crown surface, waiting about 7 seconds
(meanwhile inserting action/keys into cavity), then pounding each note you
have keytopped several times while shifting the action with the shift pedal.
This serves to "break it up while it dries," maybe drive it a wee bit below
the surface. At any rate, it reduces the need to needle afterwards to a
considerable degree. Often no needling is needed.
    Eric likes to use those 1 oz hypo bottles Schaff sells. I like them, too
(the red cap is amazing in reducing evaporation to nil for months, and the
one oz size is great for tool box), though I prefer the needle on the 2 oz
with fine needle (I think both Schaff and Pianotek sell it). I wish the tops
were interchangeable. But you can take a piece of rubber mute, poke or drill
a wee hole in it, and use it for a tip guard on the fine needle that will
also keep evaporation to nothing.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico