[CAUT] Pitch drops on individual strings

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee@humboldt1.com
Sun, 22 May 2005 10:36:52 -0700

Single string terminations with a loop at the hitch pin which show=20
instability most often can be corrected by pushing the loop coil toward=20=

the hitch pin with a dull screwdriver impacting the screwdriver with=20
the heel of the hand. This helps to close the loop around the hitch pin.
Also, leaving the string at pitch on the decreasing of tension leaves=20
the string terminus to tuning pin at a lower tension than the speaking=20=

length which upon subsequent equalizing during playing will cause the=20
pitch to go flat. If the friction at the agraff/capo is very high,=20
equal tension in the string segments may be sufficient; if the friction=20=

is low, the agraff to tuning pin segment may have to be left at a=20
higher tension.

Daniel Gurnee, RPT, HSU retired.

On Saturday, May 21, 2005, at 05:21 PM, Cy Shuster wrote:

> [...]

> I use TuneLab Pro, and used the same stored tuning each time.
> =A0
> The series ended May 1, and I tuned it just before that concert.=A0 It=20=

> survived the concert sounding good; no slipped unisons.=A0 It's been =
in=20
> the same spot for three weeks, uncovered, lid down.
> =A0
> Now, the mystery.
> =A0
> On Tuesday, they asked me to tune for a recording the next day,=20
> mentioning that a few unisons were out in the top two octaves.=A0 I=20
> measured all the A's before I tuned (as is my habit).=A0 A4 and below=20=

> were right on, except A1 and A2 were up about two cents (humidity is=20=

> rising).=A0 A5 was up 3c, A6 down 6, A7 down 3.=A0 I noticed that in =
many=20
> treble unisons, one or two strings would be way off: either a string=20=

> would be right on, or off by a considerable amount (is it my=20
> string-settling technique?).=A0 I also noticed that many strings would=20=

> move a lot if I pounded on them, before touching the pin.=A0 I worked=20=

> hard on those top two sections of the plate, making sure every string=20=

> was well settled, and wouldn't move.
> =A0
> Yesterday, they called me back to tune their other piano, and also=20
> mentioned that the top two octaves were out on the Yamaha again (!).=A0=20=

> I checked it, and A2 and below were spot-on, as were A6 and above.=A0=20=

> But in the middle three octaves, a dozen notes had one, two, or three=20=

> strings off by two or three cents (A4 was down five cents!).=A0 All =
but=20
> one were flat.=A0 Again, either a string would be exactly in tune, or=20=

> off by a lot.=A0 I checked the pitch of every string before I began to=20=

> tune, and chalk-marked the tuning pin of each string that was out (for=20=

> next time).=A0
> =A0
> They did mention that they turned off the A/C in the room for the=20
> recording (because of noise), and then fired it up full blast during=20=

> breaks.
> =A0
> Here's the temp/humidity record (graph attached).=A0 Humidity was =
lower=20
> in the two off-campus locations, and has climbed steadily upwards.
> =A0
> 4/10: 72F, 42%
> 4/17:=A068F, 32% (off-campus)
> 5/1:=A0=A0=A068F, 39-41% (back home; last concert)
> 5/17:=A072F, 44-48%RH.
> 5/20:=A072F, 55%
> =A0
> By the way, the other piano didn't exhibit this symptom of individual=20=

> strings falling, and others staying right on.=A0 This is really the=20
> heart of the mystery to me.=A0 My experience with pitch swings from=20
> humidity is that it affects strings evenly.=A0=A0The other piano is=A0a =
D in=20