[CAUT] Schimmel attacked by fabric softener

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Fri, 20 May 2005 12:41:57 -0500

With lots of time and trouble you might be able to make this piano sound
like something, but I doubt it will sound like a 7=B9 Schimmel ought to.  Jus=
replace them, and be assured of a good result, instead of taking hours and
hours to prove that the old hammers are a lost cause.  BTW, I know you
didn=B9t ask,  but I luuuuv Ronsen hammers.

Ken Z.

On 5/20/05 9:43 AM, "HepplerA@aol.com" <HepplerA@aol.com> wrote:

> One quick question for you more experienced techs out there. . .
>     I have a 7' Schimmel on consignment in the store I work for that need=
> some radical changes in the voicing.  To the request of the previous owne=
r,
> the bass and upper treble sections have been voiced down considerably.
> Unfortunately, the tooner used fabric softener as well as excessive steam=
, as
> I'm guessing from the shrinkage.  I have just spent a couple weeks with
> Boesendorfer in one-on-one voicing training, so I'm comfortable with most
> voicing jobs, but this is nasty.  The top 1/4" or so is as soft as gym so=
cks,
> it smells like Downy, and there's even a few scorch marks in the bass.  I=
> there any point in trying to save this set of hammers, or should I save m=
yself
> the agony and just replace them?  O.K., now, control your grimaces. :)
> =20
> Elizabeth Heppler, R.P.T.
> Montana State University - Bozeman
>=20