[CAUT] pros and cons of individual strings

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Sun, 15 May 2005 09:08:53 -0500

Guy,

At 06:39 PM 5/12/2005, you wrote:
>Hi,
>     As far as individually hitched plain wire strings goes, are there any
> benefits besides minimizing  the effect of string breakage?

I've always heard & assumed that this was the primary benefit.

>They take longer to string-up in the first place,

I agree with Mike on this one. Although the occasional single-tie string on
other pianos
is just as annoying when it breaks! :-)

I've restrung one Bose since I've been here at UH but I was lucky enough to
find out that
I could order them "pre-looped". It was just like putting on a bass string.
Unfortunately,
they didn't have any available at the time in this country so Roger (wasn't
it?) had to
order them. The shipping costs from Vienna were much more than the actual
cost of the wire,
but at the time, we had the money available & it was VERY much worth it to me!

Avery