[CAUT] Nice sound can carry

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Sat, 7 May 2005 12:01:04 -0400

On Friday, May 6, 2005, at 01:44 PM, Susan Kline wrote:

> I've noticed that sometimes a tuning seems to get through a heavy loud
> concert okay,
> but then over the next week or so wanders out, without even being
> played. Has anyone else observed this?

Oh, in our recital hall, it only takes a matter of hours.

> I have no idea how this can happen, but
> I've met it a few times.
> Susan

Humidity changes, differences in climate in the stage and storage
areas.  It's amazing to me that a piano is ever considered stable for a
performance. (I really think it never is, we just get them to a point
where instability isn't so noticeable.)  The relative humidity in our
recital hall can be 15-20% different from morning to evening because
the lights are off all night, so it cools down.  Then classes meet in
there half the day, followed by tuning time, rehearsals, etc.  You
wouldn't believe the difference in the piano from 8 am to 2:30 pm.

Jeff
Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music
University of South Carolina