[CAUT] sympathetic vibration in non damper section

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Sun, 1 May 2005 08:36:16 EDT

In a message dated 5/1/2005 12:44:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
skline@peak.org writes:

Well,  thanks for nothing so far, it seems to me. When I muffled every darned
back  length, I did find that the offending note still stuck out. I think
that  muffling too many back lengths can add to the problem, since it quiets down
so  much of the after ring of the other notes, which makes the loud one stand
out  all the more. The trick is to find out what is reinforcing _only_ the
loud  note. When you muffled the waste lengths, did you get _all_ the long tenor
 ends, even the parts hiding under the plate, so that when you plucked them
they sounded dull? Sometimes one noisy one is lurking down there ...

If  you do manage to quiet down the offender, then the trick will be to
remove as  much of your muffling as possible, without it starting up again. You
don't  want anything muffled which you don't NEED to stop that one note.

Good  luck ... let us know if you work something out.

Susan

Thanks Susan,

I'll see this piano again this week.  I'll try doing a more selective
dampening of the waste ends, sep. the long tenor ends.  I had considered  that by
muting so much, I might be making the offender stand out all the  more.  I
appreciate your help.  I'll be a hero (for a day) if I fix  this!

Gordon