[CAUT] sympathetic vibration in non damper section

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 21:47:50 -0700

At 12:23 AM 5/1/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>I thought it might be a bunch of sources, and I used 3/4" stringing braid
>to mute any non speaking string lengths.  I didn't notice an improvement
>after doing that.  I found that if I played a loud C major block chord,
>the E6 would ring, and if I touched the speaking length of that note, it
>stopped immediately.  And if I muted E6, I didn't get the after ring.  So
>I am pretty sure the culprit is E6.
>
>I did find that many of the waste ends rang at that same pitch, so I
>thought I'd be cutting the volume of the after ring by muting
>everything.  But the main piano teacher called me later, saying she hadn't
>noticed any change.  (I was surprised that she didn't notice a change in
>tone of the piano since I muted any non speaking sections.)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gordon Large

Well, thanks for nothing so far, it seems to me. When I muffled every
darned back length, I did find that the offending note still stuck out. I
think that muffling too many back lengths can add to the problem, since it
quiets down so much of the after ring of the other notes, which makes the
loud one stand out all the more. The trick is to find out what is
reinforcing _only_ the loud note. When you muffled the waste lengths, did
you get _all_ the long tenor ends, even the parts hiding under the plate,
so that when you plucked them they sounded dull? Sometimes one noisy one is
lurking down there ...

If you do manage to quiet down the offender, then the trick will be to
remove as much of your muffling as possible, without it starting up again.
You don't want anything muffled which you don't NEED to stop that one note.

Good luck ... let us know if you work something out.

Susan