[CAUT] priority in touchweight balancing was downweight vs. balance weight

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:53:57 -0700 (PDT)

Jon and David, thanks for the replies and suggestions
on the touchweight balancing.

Of  all of the adjustments and improvements we make
when doing touchweight component balancing, is there
one or two that have priority over the others?  For
instance should BW and or R (or BW, R and SW) be given
priority over FW?  If so to what degree can FW be
sacrificed to achieve the desired level of the
priority balances?

I have made corrections in the data (#16 SW), (#28 SW)
and included the key ratio. See the table below.

Before and after adjustment numbers are given on note
#2 and note #16. (Adjustments included moving capstan
1/16" forward and tilting it back 8 degrees.
 * indicates new numbers after capstan move and FW &
SW adjusted.

(NY S&S D)
Note SW    D   U    BW   FW    R    KR  WBWAvg.
1   13.9  51  21    36   49   5.5  .53   8.56
2   13.6  62  26    44   43.4 5.8  .55   etc.
2*  13.1  55  25    40   40.3 5.47 .55
9   13.2  52  24    38   45.7 5.7  .55
10  13.3  52  24    38   43.3 5.5  .56
16  12.4  54  22    38   44.6 5.9  .54
16* 12.4  50  30    40   37.6 5.56 .54
17  12.7  54  24    39.5 43.7 5.8  .55
28  11.7  54  25    39.5 34.4 5.6  .55
29  10.7  49  17    33   37.2 5.7  .55
40  10.7  51  26    38.5 27.2 5.3  .54
41  10.6  54  26    40   25.8 5.4  .56
52   9.9  52  29    40.5 20.7 5.3  .53
53   9.7  53  31    44   21.3 5.8  .55
64   8.8  53  30    41.5 21.3 4.2  .52
65   9.0  55  28    41.5 17.9 5.6  .53
76   8.2  54  29    41.5 11.4 5.4  .53
77   7.7  55  37    46    7.7 5.4
87   7.3  57  34    45.5  7.3 5.4
88   7.0  55  33    44    3.1 5.5

 I'm wondering about is Jon's remarks about KR.  He
wrote:
>For any given set of parameters" bore, dip, hammer
>blow, knuckle radius; there is an optimum
>intersection  (KR) between the capstan and wippen
>cushion to minimize/optimize jack travel. The
>greater the KR, the greater the wippen travel...

This seems to make KR a matter of distanced traveled
in relationship to other moving parts.  However, in
the new touchweight metrology, I thought KR is is key
weight ratio - therefore a weight measurement which
refers to a static force.

Is BW a priority over FW?  On note #2 the touchweight
improved after the capstan was moved, however on note
#16 while R was improved by moving capstan, the BW
went higher. Should FW be lowered to bring BW down to
38.  If so the D and U will be changed and we are
saying that BW is priority over FW.  How can the FW's
be smooth (not as smooth as a PTD install) but
relatively smooth if we have to jack them up and down
to achieve the BW target?

Is it possible to get all of the various components at
the desired level, i.e. - On this action can I get all
of the BW's at 38, all of the SR at 5.5, all of the KR
at .52 - by setting the appropriate SW and the FW is
set at the maximums?  Or, if not would assist springs
be the only solution?

In all of this, the highest priority must continue to
be helping the pianist to play at their highest level.

Trying to be balanced  -

Bob Hull

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs