[CAUT] vertical hammers

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:57:21 -0400

Well now that I've slept on it and had the morning of work to reflect on =
it there's no good reason (at least regarding the stress on the action =
center) you can't score the shank while you have the butts off (if using =
old parts, if using new ones it won't matter) for knurling or cleaning. =
But I still don't like it, and I'm stickin' with the hole in the molding =
technique. Please pardon the OCD. Chris Solliday=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Paul Chick (Earthlink)=20
  To: 'College and University Technicians'=20
  Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 12:15 PM
  Subject: RE: [CAUT] vertical hammers

  =20

  =20

  In a message dated 7/16/2005 10:26:45 AM Central Standard Time, =
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca writes:

    I have seen, at a convention class, or the list, or the Guild =
magazine, a=20
    gizmo for scoring the shank, to allow, trapped air to escape.
    I think it was a piece of wood, with a hole drilled in it, the size =
of the=20
    shank, then it had a screw in it, where the point was into the hole.
    You just inserted the shank, and it was scored to the depth the =
point was=20
    out.
    John M. Ross

  I inherited from my dad a shank knurler. It is a disk with groves in =
it, that is attached to a crank. It has a curved piece of metal parallel =
to the disk, that can be adjusted with a set screw, to allow the =
distance between the disk and the curved metal piece to vary. (for =
different shank sizes, or more or less knurling). You can attach it to a =
bench with screws, or a clamp. He probably got it when he worked for =
Stark.=20

  =20

  I use it when I replace a whole set of shanks. When I do just one, I =
use a pair of pliers, to gently knurl the shank.=20

  =20

  Wim=20

  =20

  I've been using a shank knurler from Schaaf for about 25 years.  I =
think it's still available.  It's adjusted to size the shanks to a =
uniform diameter as well as knurl the shank.  When glue is applied (any =
water based glue), the shanks swell back almost to their original =
diameter, making a very nice fit without excessive glue squeeze out.

  =20

  Paul C