[CAUT] Stands. slightly OT

Elwood Doss, Jr. edoss@utm.edu
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:56:54 -0600

Hey Wim,
We stencil "UTM Music" in bold letters and white spray paint on all of =
our stands. Even if the face of the stand is painted black, the outline =
of the letters shows through.  I'm really not sure how many we lose each =
year--very few if any, I would surmise, although our stands are pretty =
old.  Many of them were so rusty and scratched up that I used one of my =
work-study students to paint them black.  Don't last real long, but do =
improve the overall looks of the stands.  Besides I had nearly a gallon =
of black paint that was going to go to waste.  Might as well use it up!

Keeping the stands in their assigned location would be no small task. I =
would say there would be a certain amount of loss, considering human =
nature, and today's morals.  I don't think having students purchase =
their own stands and carry them around would never work.  Instead of =
purchasing a personal stand, the'd just "borrow" one from the band room, =
concert hall or choral room.

Here's an idea that we use here:  Our women's professional fraternity, =
Sigma Alpha Iota, purchased some stands for the practice rooms--they are =
bright red with "SAI" and some flowers and birds stenciled on them.  =
Nobody would be caught dead carrying one of those out of the building.  =
It would be a good project for Phi Mu Alpha too, for that matter.

Kindest personal regards!

Joy!
Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr., RPT