[CAUT] Funny Noises

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:58:40

Hi all,

Dampher upstop rails can "fool" you as well. I've always set them so that a
sharp key when depressed is not limited by the rail. Except in one piano if
I do that there is *just* one note that gives a barely audible click--I
guess the felt on the upstop rail is softer at that particular point. I had
the very old devil finding it--but finally it got worse and I just happened
to figure it out. The top of the underlever where the dampher wire goes in
was clicking on the wood of the belly.

At 08:41 AM 26/01/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>Ken,
>
>The rod wasn't "wrong" but the upstop rail was too high,
>allowing the underlever to click on the sostenuto. Actually, I just
>adjusted one yesterday morning to stop the clicks, especially in the tenor
>area. Strangely enough, no one ever complains about it.
>
>>  Finally the light comes on.  Earlier, in regulating the sostenuto, I had
>> bent the bracket down to get the bar properly lined up with the tabs.  It
>> didn't work at all before I started working on it during semester break,
>> and it doesn't work now.  But the click sure went away after I bent the
>> bracket back up!  The underlever was, of course, hitting the sostenuto
>> bar.  I don't think I ever heard the jack hit the flange when the action
>> was in the piano, and I'm not sure I ever played the notes hard enough to
>> make it hit.  It was a rather effective distracter, though.

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca		http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-352-3620 or 1-888-29t-uner