[CAUT] Funny Noises

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:07:46 -0700

On 1/25/05 2:13 PM, "Ken Zahringer" <ZahringerK@missouri.edu> wrote:

>  In looking at the flange, I noticed a small black line on the underside =
of
> the nose of the flange.  Aha! The jack was hitting the flange, and left a
> graphite mark!  I replaced the hammer, and looked at it some more.  For s=
ome
> reason, the tip of that flange was a little lower that its neighbors, as =
were
> some the other clicking notes.  I didn=B9t want to mess with key dip, since=
> just barely had enough, so I played around with shimming the flange.  I e=
nded
> up putting some travel paper under the back side of the flange (opposite =
the
> drop screw) crossways, only on the vertical part of the very back part of=
 the
> groove.  I wish I could draw a picture!  Any way, the result was to move =
the
> flange back, and raise the drop screw end as it rode up on the rail.  Of
> course, this necessitated readjusting the capstan, letoff, and drop.  Aft=
er
> that, no more click on the bench!   Almost home!

Hi Ken,
    Exactly what I had experienced in regard to my earlier post (though not
including the sostenuto click). When I wrote earlier I couldn=B9t quite pull
all the details to mind, but later in the day it came back to me. That
vintage of Steinways had some =B3issues=B2 with consistent drilling of the
hammer rail. I=B9ve run across a few later with the same problem: flanges not
in a single plane, but canted up and down, sometimes quite a lot. This bein=
observed upon the installation of brand new parts. And I have shimmed as yo=
described, front or back as needed.
    The first time I ran across it, it was a D, and a pianist using it for =
recording session was complaining. Sure enough, after much back and forth I
found that tell-tale black line on the bottom of select flange tips. In
=B3normal=B2 use, those jacks =B3couldn=B9t=B2 get that high, or that far back, or so
it seemed. But in use, parts move farther than you think possible. (BTW, Do=
Mannino=B9s super slo-mo of the Kawai black action is amazing in what it show=
that you never see. The number of times a jack will bounce against the
knuckle on the return is incredible. Who=B9da thunk?)
    So anyway, you might find that you=B9ve saved yourself a service problem
down the road in addition to solving the issue that was the =B3real=B2 problem.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico=20