[CAUT] Guidelines/piano ages...

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:56:29 -0800

Gents,

I've always found it interesting that the very folks who stand to make the
most money from the longer-term use of _quality_ rebuilt/refurbished
instruments in schools (especially music-specific ones) are exactly the
ones who then try to cut the rug out from in underneath their own
products.  While someone like Tom McNeil can probably speak more accurately
to the timelines involved, it seems to me as if the development of the CAUT
institutional guidelines occurred right around the same time that a certain
well-known maker decided to turn institutional piano purchasing into a
capitalization project.

I do think that Dave and Fred have made some most excellent points
here.  In a nutshell, much depends on the ability of the technician and the
faculty to work together for their own, long-term best interest.  Some
aspects of rebuilding can be reasonably done in house (actions being a
primary example).  Others, unless the institution is most unusual, really
should be contracted out...to reputable folks who are both able and willing
to work within the constraints of institutional budgeting and process.

Further, as Fred notes, having any sort of arbitrary standard for
replacement and/or rebuilding/refurbishing is simply asking for
trouble.  We have all seen much older instruments that are wonderful right
along side some that are truly wretched.  Same, within limits, with new
instruments.  Particularly absurd, I fear, is the presumption that an
all-something-or-other school is some how, some way, intrinsically "better"
than one that is not.  Rubbish...unless, of course, one is the manufacturer
or dealer.

While not exactly on target here, I want to call your attention to an
excellent post on pianotech this morning from Robin Hufford.  In it, he
raises (again) for consideration the concept of the Modulus of
Resilience.  Where that has relevance here is in the assessment of older
instruments - that is - just how much "rebuilding" is actually
necessary?  Sarah Fox (also on pianotech, a few days back) put this into a
perspective which can be modified for use here.  In considering how much
"rebuilding" is necessary, the thinking (in the institutional setting, at
least) really need to include both musical and technical issues as primary
factors.  If the board is still musically usable, why replace it?  Do what
is reasonable and necessary - it is not an either/or, it is a
both/and.  Ultimately, something can have a beautifully executed, but
musically dead execution...what end is served?  Another place on which to
place pictures and coffee cups?  Put in less prosaic terms, a B, for
example, which no longer has the power to properly drive a small recital
hall just might, with reasonable reworking, be just about perfect for a
studio.  Or, a 1098, after 30 years of grueling practice room service, gets
some bridge work, some grinding on appropriate plate locations, restringing
and new action parts...and, produces for another 30 years.

At a certain level, much of this has to do with our own egos.  What are we
serving?  If it is something other than the overall reasonable best that a
given instrument can produce in a given place at a given time, then we need
to ask ourselves how music (and, oh yes, to be sure, the budget) is being
served.  I admit to a fair degree of cynicism here.  That is because I have
seen too many instruments recreated in the image of some technician or
other, rather than in being worked with to their own potential.  There are
times in which replacement is, to be sure, the best of all possible
choices; and, we should acknowledge those times and support those
decisions.  There are also times when some level of refurbishing or
rebuilding is the best of all possible choices; and, we will find more
support for that position and work if we have been reasonable in term of
replacement.  (Of course, it never hurts to have the bright, shiny, new -
and, therefore, obviously much superior - instruments turn out to be
turkeys...)

Ah, well...my rant for the day.

Best.

Horace