[CAUT] Dampp-Chaser hygrometer specs

Roger Wheelock roger@dampp-chaser.com
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:01:37 -0500

Hello list,

I have received a few inquiries regarding the accuracy of Dampp-Chaser
hygrometers.  Customers have purchased the units in quantity, set them
all up to run side by side, and then have become concerned about the
results.  We contacted the manufacturer in Sweden and they verified the
following information.

Measuring range:  20-95%RH
Accuracy within 50-70%RH: +/- 3%RH
Accuracy outside 50-70%RH: +/- 5%RH

I find that these specs are typical for hygrometers priced similarly to
ours.  Unfortunately, 42% RH could be read anywhere from 37%RH to 47%RH
when read with these instruments.  We believe, however, that the
instruments do measure changes in relative humidity quite accurately.
We had hoped technicians would use them to show piano owners the
variations in the piano's environment (maximum versus minimum readings)
rather than use them as scientific instruments.  I use either data
loggers or high end ($1500 plus) hygrometers in my research.  The old
saying, you get what you pay for, is really true for hygrometers.

Another thing I occasionally do is find myself questioning the reading
only to realize a little later that it was set on either the max. or
min.  I feel pretty dumb when I figure this out, but thought I would
pass it along just in case.

Thanks,

Roger