[CAUT] Funny Noises

Boaz Kirschenbaum artisanpiano@gmail.com
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:29:39 +1100

Ken, I would agree with Avery Todd, it may well be the rep spring in
the jack hole, they make them too long from time to time, this problem
still rears its head on new Steinways.

It sounds like it isn't any backcheck heads hitting the sostenuto
blade, no one's said that yet so  there's a wild speculation for you.

I assume you checked the window in the rep lever to see if the felt had
worn away, was missing, or was trimmed in some way so that the jack
hits part of the back of the window.

Another wild speculation: Steinway parts of that vintage had harder
felts on the jack regulating buttons from time to time. When these hard
felts hit the spoons they can click, some repetitions click louder than
others. This is hard to get rid of completely if not impossible. You
can needle the felts to soften them with a pair of very short #5
voicing needles, mounted in a cut-off chopstick (easily made tool just
for this purpose).

Aaahh...troubleshooting clicks on New York Steinways. Always
interesting!

Good Luck!

Boaz Kirschenbaum