[CAUT] Funny Noises

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:52:46 -0800

At 06:42 PM 1/24/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>There is no sound when I depress the key slowly.  There is a very audible
>click on a normal, mf type blow.  With the action out, it takes somewhat of
>a hard blow to get a click, which I don't understand either.
>
>Ken Z.

I think Michelle has the right idea. Does this wippen hold the rep spring in
with a damned hard teflon post, instead of a bushed center pin? I've found
that they
sometimes click. I believe the Eric Schandall once suggested twisting the
spring
at the coil to quiet them -- can't quite remember, but I think that was his
drift. Before hearing that suggestion, just before a concert (on a rental D)
I buttered VJ lube into the slot holding the coil (not the other end.)
(confessions, confessions) It worked.

The click (to my ear) had been discouragingly prominent on a heavy blow.
It sounded like a click as the hammer hit the string, but I found nothing
loose. Removing the wippen and holding it right next to my ear, when
tweaking the rep lever I heard the tiny little noise, unamplified by the
action.

Let us know what you find, please

Susan